Landlord Insurance

Home / Landlord Insurance

Landlord insurance is similar to home insurance, but it's specifically designed to cover rental properties.

The three main types of landlord insurance are buildings, contents and liability insurance.

There are various bits and bobs you can bolt on your cover to tailor it to you, you can even add on something called ‘rent guarantee’ which can actually protect your tenants if they fall on hard times.

You'll usually take out insurance on a property-by-property basis, although portfolio policies are available to landlords who own four or more rented homes and want to insure them all at the same time.  

Types of landlord insurance:

Buildings insurance - Buildings insurance covers any damage to the structure of your property, as well as the cost of rebuilding the home if it's irreparably damaged. You generally won't be able to take out a buy-to-let mortgage without proof of buildings insurance, and most lenders will specify the minimum level of cover you require in their terms and conditions.  If the property is a flat within a block, your buildings insurance will usually be part of a shared block policy, which you'll pay for as part of your service charge. It's worth checking exactly what's covered within this and taking out your own additional policy if you want to cover anything that's not included.

Buildings insurance policies typically offer cover against the following types of damage:

Theft, vandalism, malicious damage (including by tenants)

Lightning, storm, earthquake damage (may be limited to the building itself rather than fences etc)


Burst pipes

Fire or smoke

Oil or water

Impact caused by accidents

Contents insurance - Contents insurance can usually be taken out as a standalone policy or as an add-on to buildings insurance, and the level of contents insurance you'll need depends on whether you're letting a furnished or unfurnished property.  A contents insurance policy will cover the cost of repairing or replacing fixtures and fittings such as carpets, furniture and electrical items if, for example, they're damaged in a flood, and some policies can be extended to cover accidental damage to items.

Landlord contents insurance policies only pay out on items that you've provided in the property. Anything that belongs to your tenants, from everyday belongings to furniture, won't be covered, so tenants should take out their own policy.

Home emergency cover - Home emergency cover offers round-the-clock cover against loss of essential services in your property. These policies cover the cost of repairs and should enable you to get services up and running quickly.

At Advantage we’ve helped lots of landlords find suitable cover for their rental properties so give us a call. You’re in safe hands.

We’ll get you a quote for 5 Star Defaqto rated cover at a fantastic price in just a few minutes!

Book an appointment

Call us on 020 8665 3200 or send us an email at if you would like to find out more.

Why Choose Us?

Our clients choose to trust us over the competition because of the way we conduct our business.

Did you know that not all mortgages are available through brokers? That’s why we’ll always let you know about any cheaper deals that we’re aware of when we make our recommendation. Nothing hidden here.
We exist not only for our clients but to make the world a better place in any little way we can. We participate in ‘micro-giving’ via a charitable organisation called Buy1Give1, to causes such as conservation and clean water.
All Advantage customers have their own Client Portal for secure exchange of information, messages and documents. However, we always tailor our services to suit you, whether face to face, telephone, email or carrier pigeon.
Whilst we have arranged finance for people in all situations, we have areas we think we excel in. If you are a contractor, self-employed, a first time buyer, an older borrower or have had credit issues, you should really call us.
Your Home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage or another debt secured on it

The information contained in this website is subject to UK regulatory regime and is therefore intended for consumers based in the UK.

Our typical fee is £450 and only paid when your offer is produced. This means that if we’re unsuccessful in getting you the mortgage you won’t pay a fee, giving you the confidence you need from a broker.

Advantage Financial Solutions is a trading style of TRM Financial Ltd, an Appointed Representative of The Right Mortgage Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Office: 70 St. Johns Close, Knowle, Solihull, England, B93 0NH.  Registered in England and Wales no. 09832887.